Monday, February 22, 2010

Are you kidding me?

Addison has recently been asking for a Barbie doll, (I know someone has put her up to it), but I decided to go along with it. When I left for a literacy conference in Salt Lake last week, I told her we could go and get a Princess and the Frog Barbie (she's actually into that) when I got home on Friday. I felt so guilty for leaving her and Jace, I couldn't wait to get home and buy her whatever one she wanted. She sat for several minutes in the Barbie section at Target and finally decided on the one that kissed the frog when you moved the arm.

She played with her new Barbie for a while and I remembered that I had all of my old Barbies in my parent's basement. I couldn't wait to show her my beloved Ken doll that to me, was pretty much the most attractive man on earth with his faux leather jacket and sunkissed, wavy locks. I even named him Scott Taylor. (He's the one below on the far right.)

Addison was immediately intrigued with all my Barbie stuff and played for quite a long time until I noticed Ken/Scott was entirely nude! I kept asking her why his clothes weren't on. I got nothing but a blank look.

Finally she said to me, "Where are Peter's clothes?"

Peter huh? Okay, I can accept that as his new name. I was a little emotional to think that she had come up with her first name for something. Normally every cat is named Kitty-dogs are named Puppy. Everything's name is the actual name of it. I was so excited to think she must have named Ken/Peter after Peter Pan because she's been reading that book each night.

I smiled from ear to ear thinking about what a emotional scene this was: My daughter playing with my Barbies just I did with my own mother's Barbies (even though my mother's ken doll was the reigning champion in the Pee-Wee Herman lool-a-like contest from the 60's.) Anyway, as I was basking in the nostalgia of it all, my thoughts were interrupted with...

"Mom, Peter Parker needs his clothes! Where is his Spiderman outfit?"

6 comments:

Puphigirl said...

Peter Parker! That is not original! I like your name of Scott Taylor. It sounds like a soap opera name.

Allison said...

Must all be because of those p.j.s your hubby bought for her. (Were they spiderman?) Funny story.

Diana said...

LMAO!!!!!

Well, you were close! Your little tomboy cracks me up.

Don't fret. She my be in her 20's, but eventually she'll like pink. Some of us are late feminine bloomers.

That was too cute.

Robin said...

That's hilarious. You are a great writer Courtney I was so into your story!

Diana said...

PS... I sent an invite to you to when I went private (cwatnie@hotmail.com ) and I just noticed you never accepted it. I want to think that I just have the wrong email address, but maybe I should be wondering..... Are we still friends? Should I be spreading rumors about the demise of our relationship? It was 10 years ago, but I could probably think of some stuff we did in high school that Willy wouldn't know about. :) Lemme know if you need me to resend the invite again. You know... dianaforsey@yahoo.com :)

The Hintze Family said...

Spiderman can protect the barbies, just as well if not a bit better than GI Joe!!